Saturday, August 04, 2007

Cast your net into the deep, or into your toilet..


Now don't misunderstand me, I'm all for "good capitalism" but sometimes it just plain runs amok, as JPII warned us. This sells for $299.00 or maybe more. People have bought and are buying this. Do you know how many water filtration systems that $299.00 would buy for Guatemala? I thought this might be funny to post, but in a strange way, it's affected me differently...more like sorrow. Yeah, it's clever, alright. The next trend for upscale bathrooms. Fine. I'm not slamming people's taste,home decor,creativity, or the fun way to pee, or to make a few bucks. However, Thursday afternoon, at KVSS my friend, Kris, showed me pictures of Guatemala. She showed me a photo of where she had to pee when she was down there for a 12 day missions trip. There was a makeshift flimsy screen around the latrine, that you flush by dipping the dipper in a bucket and "flushing" the waste down and out...where it goes, you can imagine.

The kind family with whom she stayed while up in the mountains, had erected this screen so that the women from the U.S. would have some "privacy." How they so cheerfully and graciously wanted to bless the Americans. Well, while Kris was answering nature's call one morning, a chicken strolled over, scratched at the dirt near her feet, cocked it's head and checked her out, and clucked a friendly "hello."

Jump back to America now. Ta da. Look what we have to pee in! "Fish 'N Flush!" to keep our consumer mentality, entertainment driven lives full to the brim, shall we say? Why sit on a regular toilet, when you can sit pretty on this fine spectacle of human creativity and achievement. No offense to its creator(s). Really. It just bothers me. Not because I'm 'holier than thou' and have my convert-Catholic nose in the air, but because I'm being changed. This would have not had this impact on my soul a few years ago. It wouldn't have. Something is going on inside my heart and I can only pray, and be reminded of Blessed Mother Teresa's words:

"We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty." ~ Mother Teresa

How, pray tell, does purchasing a potty pond help us to do that? Just askin'...maybe it's the quality family time spent in the car or truck to go pick it up, (scratch that, it's going to be delivered if you have the cash for a Caribbean crapper.) I venture to say, the family that flushes together will no doubt stay together, eh?

PAX,
susie

No comments: