Sunday, July 22, 2007

Turning a comment into a post . . .

While visiting this delightful blog, and leaving a comment, I thought, "Hmm, maybe I should post this." IF anyone out there might ever be able to find that cartoon in New Yorker archives (I've had no luck) please let me know. It was from a 1995 Nov. Issue with the Beatles on the cover. (the reason I bought it in the first place for a reading on a California-bound flight)

susie

I was about 18 or so when the book, "I'm Okay, You're Okay" appeared on the shelves of so many Catholics and Protestants alike. Some well meaning person gave it to me to read, so I'd feel "okay" about myself. How tragic the slippery slope of "self-help tripe" has become! It's like putting a band aid on a large, gaping flesh wound!

I came across a simple little cartoon (in The New Yorker [could it be?]) a few years ago. It was a crucifix, in what looked to be a narthex of a Catholic Church. Two men in suits beneath it were looking up at Jesus. One man had a bible in his hand and was saying to the other: "If I'm okay and you're okay, what's he doing up there?"
That was the MOST POWERFUL, poignant cartoon I'd ever seen and to think it was in New Yorker was the most mind-boggling! I'd love to find it again, but I've not been able to retrieve it in all of my research.

There's "good guilt" which we all need more of in this selfish, narcissistic culture and then the guilt that leads to despair..selfish, prideful guilt that says "my sins are too big for God's mercy." An "insult to God" as Mother Angelica says. Good guilt is surely needed to give us contrition for our sins. But, in this "I ME MINE FIRST" culture, we're enamored with the face in the mirror, thinking we're okay. And when we don't feel "okay" we find some book or person to tell us how okay we are. We're too thick of head and too thin of skin. We want OUR needs met and we attempt to make God all soft and cozy to meet our needs.

Lord have mercy. Christ have mercy. Lord have mercy.


PAX,

susie

JMJ

2 comments:

Staying in Balance said...

Excellent! I'd love to find that cartoon and post it!

Joyful Catholic said...

Thanks TeeJ and 4HC.

I hope to have my artist friend, Matt, draw it for me and then I'll post it and frame it for our home. I still can't get over how powerful it was and the things I hear on EWTN keep reminding me of that cartoon. Just today when Msgr. at Dunwoodie Seminary said something about how we can't be "okay" or he'd not have had to die... the cartoon came to mind.