Friday, August 08, 2008

What can BROWN do for you?...

http://religi3.securesites.net/apparitions/scapular-13.jpg I have just started wearing my brown scapular again for the past week, and have come under some spiritual attack due to various situations. I bought it 3.5 years ago, shortly after we returned to the Catholic Church. I was drawn to Carmelite spirituality right off the bat. I did take a year to discern becoming a Benedictine oblate, but am impressed more and more toward the Carmelites. There is a new Carmelite group at our parish that will be initiating members into the scapular the last Monday of August. Rich and I are planning on going. Please pray for me to find a Spiritual Director. Much is happening in my life, my heart, my "circle" that could benefit greatly by solid direction and guidance. The past 3 years, I've done alright "on my own" and I do believe I have been "guided" by the Holy Spirit, but I want to find a person to talk to about my life/goals/dreams/"visions" so I would appreciate your prayers.

I am currently reading (and getting to know more Carmelite Saints in...) Bread of Heaven, a Treasury of Carmelite Prayers and Devotions on the Eucharist.

http://www.desithreads.com/images/udsbrown_det.jpgask Our Lady of Mt Carmel what she'd like you to do, and "listen to your Mama!"
http://wafatima-ri.org/images/Our_Lady_of_MtCarmel24.jpggreat blog if you're interested in becoming a secular Carmelite

3 comments:

owenswain said...

The biggest attack I came under was from my fellow Catholics online who indirectly accused me of sentimentalism and superstition. I found it rather surprising.

Joyful Catholic said...

That is VERY surprising, Owen. Disturbing, too. Go figger.

Unknown said...

Did you know that there is also Scapular of Saint Benedict...

". THE BLACK SCAPULAR OF ST. BENEDICT (Benedictine Scapular)

To associate the faithful, who were not Oblates of St. Benedict, in a certain measure with the Benedictine Order, a confraternity of St. Benedict was founded in the second half of the nineteenth century. Reception is effected by the enrollment of the members and investment with a small blessed scapular of black cloth. One of the segments usually has a picture of St. Benedict but no picture is necessary."