Sunday, January 07, 2007

Richard Wayne Mullins...

I wrote to Rich Mullins's brother, David, recently after watching Homeless Man and Pursuit of a Legacy dvds. I was curious about all I'd heard the past year or two that Rich was going to enter the CC in the week or two following his untimely death. For me, he had and showed more respect for the CC than some Catholics and other Christians I know. I think the "baptism of desire" was burning bright in his soul for the fullness of Truth, and that he is with his Lord and Savior now, playing for the King, with the other troubadours and his beloved St. Francis, all touched by and receptive to, God's grace. Below is Robin's reply.

susie

Susie ~
Thank you for your email. I handle all of the email for Kid Brothers, but I will be sure and forward this on to David.
There are many people who think Rich was about to convert to Catholicism before his accident. I don't think anyone will ever know for sure. However, in talking with a good friend of his, he had a conversation with on the day of his accident and said that while he did like some things about the Catholic faith, he was not going to convert. One thing we do know ~ Rich loved Jesus and tried his best to follow after Him ~ and I think that is what is important to remember about him.
By His Grace ~
Robin Mullins
Grant Administrator
Kid Brothers of St. Frank
Matthew 25:40 "Whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Recon:
Again, we are on the same track. One year ago, I wrote to Rich's sister-in- law to request clarification regarding his journey. A priest is on record saying Rich called him the week before he died asking when he could receive the Eucharist. I received the same answer you got. That he had no intention of converting is what I was told.
Either way , he was truly an amzing soul who lived out the gospel in a way that is an example to all of us.
His hammer dulcimer playing was awesome too!!

Anonymous said...

Check out what this link had to say.
http://tmatt.gospelcom.net/column/1998/05/06/

Anonymous said...

I'm much more apt to believe the priest on this matter. I believe his family and friends would rather believe he would not have followed through... but only because they don't understand and it's easier to explain to all the faithful non-Catholic Christians who have listened to him for years.

Regardless, God knew his heart and he definitely had a great passion for the Lord. Perhaps one day, we'll be able to ask him ourselves!

Joyful Catholic said...

Amen. God indeed knew his heart. I think you're correct in your observations of his family and friends. I just love his quote on Pursuit of a Legacy where he says re: Catholics and their reverence for Mary. "It's not that they revere her too much, it's that we revere people too little." He was certainly a "Catholic" in his heart...like C.S. Lewis and others who maybe never took the "plunge" into the Tiber, but were there in spirit. God rest his precious soul! Thanks for posting, too, Amber. Stop by again.

susie

Anonymous said...

Please, where did you get the email adress?? I have been trying to find contacts for relatives of Rich Mullins and havent had much luck. Please answer on my email,marketadohnalova@yahoo.com, Thanks!

Joyful Catholic said...

Sorry I've not gotten back sooner. I got the email from the website, I'm pretty sure, as I didn't know Robin's email. kidbrothersofstfrank.com That should work. I'll check too, and email you if I find something else. Blessings.