Sunday, May 25, 2008

Gospel of St John and Corpus Christi...

St. JOHN
48
I am the bread of life.
49
Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died;
50
this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die.
51
I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world."
52
The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this man give us (his) flesh to eat?"
53
Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
54
Whoever eats 19 my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.
55
For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.
56
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.
57
Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.
58
This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever."

On this solemnity of Corpus Christi, I am only full of gratitude to have been given the faith to believe these words Jesus spoke to his disciples. I did not believe this for many years. It was a "hard saying" for me, and it didn't make sense. But you see, that's where we can't let our senses lead us, but a mustard seed of faith, when activated by grace, in a mystery unable to be articulated, can lead us...straight into the heart Sacred Heart of Truth. It's all grace, but to be humbled to believe, what a treasure and what a gift!! God is love. Let Him love you, be open to receive this wonderful gift of Life, to behold and partake in the Eucharist is to behold and partake of the body and blood of Jesus. It's not the priest, it is Christ, speaking through the priest who indeed performs this miracle of changing that wafer of wheat into His Body. That cup of wine, into His Blood. Come, taste and see that the Lord is good, and wants all to come and receive Him. As a priest I met recently said, "I have a mustard seed, and I'm not afraid to use it!" Use it! Let the Holy Spirit enkindle in you that mustard seed of faith that will move the mountain of disbelief that's kept you from coming Home to the Catholic Church. He did it for me, and He will for you. Come and eat, come and drink and receive the fullness, the ALL of Jesus, that he died to give to you. Don't tarry, run to Him. He's waiting for you in the Blessed Sacrament.

No comments: